GCE Performing Arts (2016)
The CCEA GCE Performing Arts specification encompasses drama, dance, music and any genre that involves performing in front of an audience. Performing arts is a huge growth industry in Northern Ireland: the Game of Thrones phenomenon has resulted in a burgeoning film industry, with many other major productions, such as Derry Girls, Line of Duty and The Fall creating a range of employment opportunities here.
This specification is available at two levels: AS and A2. Students can take the AS units plus the A2 units for a full GCE A level qualification. They can also choose to take the course as a stand-alone qualification.
In the AS units, students develop their skills and apply them to practical contexts. They will also plan and realise a Performing Arts event.
Students who continue to A2 learn about planning for employment in the performing arts industry, and will also have the opportunity to form a production company to research, plan, promote and realise a performing arts event in response to a commission brief.
The specification has four units:
- Unit AS 1: Developing Skills and Repertoire
- Unit AS 2: Planning and Realising a Performing Arts Event
- Unit A2 1: Planning for Employment
- Unit A2 2: Performing to a Commission Brief.
Skills developed through our GCE Performing Arts
This specification builds on learning from Key Stage 4 and gives students opportunities to continue to develop the Cross-Curricular Skills and the Thinking Skills and Personal Capabilities.
Students develop skills through preparing for performances by:
- using a variety of research methods;
- completing a skills audit;
- independent learning and self-management;
- action planning and target setting;
- using rehearsal strategies and techniques;
- engaging in a regular programme of practice;
- using teacher, peer and self-evaluation;
- record keeping;
- understanding health and safety practices; and
- completing a risk assessment.
Students develop skills in relation to their chosen discipline:
- Set Design
- Costume Design
- Musical Direction
- Stage Management
- Technical (Lighting or Sound).
Treoir Ghasta ar an Churaclam do Thuismitheoirí
Cur síos ar a mbeadh súil leis agus do pháiste ag tosú ar an bhunscoil agus/nó ar an iar-bhunscoil.
Lost your CCEA exam certificates? Information and help with replacement certificates, certified statement of results and/or updating your details.
Quick Guides to the Curriculum for Parents
What to expect when your child starts primary and/or post-primary school. Download our resource(s).