Your school may decide the best way to prepare to implement reciprocal reading. However, if you want to try it in your own class, you should:
- explain to the children why you are doing reciprocal reading;
- show them some books or texts that link with your topics or high interest guided reading books;
- introduce, explain and model the four strategies: prediction; clarification; questioning; and summarising through whole-class activities, teaching these one at a time so the children understand what they mean;
- give the children opportunities to practise the strategies in small groups or with a buddy over a planned period; and
- download or make appropriate resources such as prompt cards or bookmarks to help the children with the four strategies.
Watch Video: Getting Started (Donaghadee Primary School) and Video: Getting Started (St Teresa’s Primary School) for more information on getting started.