Maths Think Differently
As a staff, discuss the importance of making connections and targeted practice to consolidating learning.
Plan – NumCo preparation (approximately 2 hours)
1. Staff complete the Start Line survey.
2. NumCo analyses and considers the findings.
3. NumCo explores the resource, plans and prepares for the discussion session.
N.B. Each NumCo will work at their own pace and use these resources differently.
N.B. It may be easier to facilitate discussion if staff are divided into smaller groups where they feel more comfortable.
Do – Staff discussion (approximately 45 minutes) and changes to classroom practise (4-6 weeks)
4. NumCo guides the resource use and discussion.
5. Identify small changes for individual classrooms.
Remember: Changes don’t have to be big to have an impact!
- Stop moving on to new topics before learning is fully compressed;
- Keep highlighting when existing skills are used in new contexts;
- Start asking learners to verbalise connections that they identify.
N.B. Staff may agree to work together to stop, keep or start the same strategy across the whole school or key stage, or each teacher may chose strategies specific to their individual classroom.
NumCo preparation (approximately 1 hour) and staff discussion (approximately 30 minutes)
6. Staff complete the Impact Measure survey.
7. NumCo plans feedback session.
8. Staff discuss the impact of the changes and agree those to stop and those to keep.
9. NumCo records the process and the impact measured.
N.B. Each NumCo will work at their own pace and every discussion will be unique to each staff group.